Goodbye 2013

Another New Years Eve. 2013 has gone so fast! I remember a year ago, I was close to starting my first placement as an occupational therapy student. This time next year, all my placements will be finished and I will be so close to becoming an OT. I have such an important year ahead of me. I will learn so much. 

The second half of 2013 has been difficult. MAV has mostly left me alone, but instead I have had severe, chronic pelvic pain that has landed me in A&E twice. It began in June, with only a mild, niggling pain in my ovary. It gradually got worse and worse, and now I have severe pain in both ovaries and my general pelvic area which is there everyday. I only have about 5 days a month where the pain eases and I can get by on just paracetemol or ibuprofen. The rest of the month, it is a concoction of paracetemol, ibuprofen and codeine or another painkiller called mefenamic acid.

After a load of appointments and tests including an untrasound, I have a diagnosis of Endometriosis (which cannot be confirmed 100% without a laproscopy, a type of key-hole surgery, which the doctors are understandably reluctant to do straight away). I will go into more detail in another blog post... I am about to start hormonal treatment, which I am praying will work and take away the pain! I know I have been dealing with it well, but it has definitely taken a toll on my grades and I have had a very difficult semester, that hasn't been much fun unfortunately.But hopefully this time next year, I will be pain free.

New years resolution: To have more fun :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment